Skip to main content

Captain's Blog: Bard Date 3212020


I didn't update yesterday because I was trying to walk a line between documenting an experience and living it. Yesterday was my last full day on Bard's campus as a student. I didn't want to lose any moment of it to sitting and writing it down. If you've been following up to this point, there are probably a few things you're wondering about, so the quick update is that everyone has a plan, and the whole crew will have reached our final destinations by Monday. Yesterday evening Chief of Security, Navigator, and I took a hike to the waterfall, one of my favorite spots on campus. It was one of the first spots on campus I visited back in L&T. After that we hung out in Pilot's room with her while she packed for a while. Then, knowing I was going to leave early the next morning, I said goodbye.

Because of the leaving early my night probably should've ended there, but instead I went to my Communication Officer's room. We hung out and he made us dinner. He made salad that I ate out of desire rather than obligation, which is an accomplishment in itself. Maybe I should've made him the Ship's Steward, honestly, but it's too late to go back now. We had a movie night we'd been talking about having for weeks but hadn't gotten around to, and I only went home to get to bed. This morning, he woke up early to see me off. We spent the hour and a half before my Admiral arrived with the escape pod laying on my bed while he played guitar, more asleep than awake.

This blog is largely a Star Trek themed endeavor, but I was a Harry Potter kid growing up too. I'm a proud Gryffindor, and I've been trying to deal with this whole situation with the bravery that should imply. I have a theory about the Hogwarts houses, though. I don't want to go on a long tangent, so I'm not going to try to prove my point too hard, but I think the houses are less about who you already are and more about what you value, what you aspire to. I value bravery above most other values because, without bravery, I don't think you can practice any other value consistently. That's why I'm a Gryffindor.

Leaving campus today was hard. It was both easier and harder than I thought it was going to be. With the past week, and yesterday in particular, I had just enough closure. It was still difficult knowing that I wasn't going to come back, that I'd had my last day in a college classroom without realizing that was what it was. I know that Bard isn't quite a magical school, but it was definitely my Hogwarts. Throughout college, I've experienced feelings of belonging previously unprecedented in my life. Leaving that behind is something I was low-key terrified of when I was going to do it at the right time. I wasn't sure, before now, how to handle it early.

The thing is, Hogwarts is always waiting to welcome you home. It was a line from the series that became a rallying cry for fans who grew up with Harry Potter, that through books, TV, fanfiction, you name it, Hogwarts is always waiting to welcome you home. I have to believe that if Bard is my Hogwarts, there will always be a way back to it for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Officer's Blog: Bard Date 3192020

This week has been a whirlwind- stay, go, don't leave, get the fuck out now.  As the Captain mentioned, the admiralty has recalled me home from the ship.  For now.   As this wild adventure begins to fizzle out, I am brought back to the words of my personal favorite Existentialist philosopher (this is a Bard student writing, did you think I wouldn't mention some grand philosophical concept?)  Søren Kierkegaard on regret that I found myself musing over just last week, when we were all still so certain that we would be finishing the semester on campus.   "Marry, and you will regret it; don’t marry, you will also regret it; marry or don’t marry, you will regret it either way. Laugh at the world’s foolishness, you will regret it; weep over it, you will regret that too; laugh at the world’s foolishness or weep over it, you will regret both.… Hang yourself, you will regret it; do not hang yourself, and you will regret that too; hang yourself or don’t hang yourself, you’ll

Captain's Blog: Bard Date 3262020

Last night, the cabin fever won. I don't want to be too dramatic about that. What I did last night had always been the plan, was the reason I was growing my hair out, but being stuck inside has sped up the process somewhat. Last night I coerced Admiral Dad into taking clippers to the back of my head and giving me an undercut. It didn't exactly take much coercing. Immediately after taking the first chunk of hair, however, Admiral Dad swore, and I was suddenly very sure my hair was going to get a much more dramatic change than I'd planned. That wasn't the case, luckily. Admiral Dad simply forgot to put the guard on the clippers, so it's a closer shave than either of us really intended, which is not a big deal at all given that we're going to be stuck on the Home Outpost for at least another month. I'm confident it will look how it was supposed to in about a week or two. Then it's just a question of when I can get my hands on some hair dye... If I were

Captain's Blog: Bard Date 3192020

It gets worse before it gets better, kids, but it's okay because nihilism has set it. Nothing matters was the mantra of the morning. I don't really want to stick with that, but we've definitely been feeling discouraged. In yesterday's update, I told you my First Officer and Chief Engineer had been called back. Later that night, we found out there was a metaphorical warp core breach that means most of us are being forced to use the escape pods. My Comms Officer, who I finally managed to catch up with last night, is staying behind because of how integrated he is in some away missions. The rest of us absolutely have to evacuate. There's a level of comfort in it. The uncertainty has worn on all of us. My Opps Ensign has been gone a while, sent home early by an unrelated illness. Tomorrow, my First Officer and Chief Engineer are both leaving. The next day, my Chief of Security and I will be gone. Only a couple days after that, our Pilot will go home. I wish I could sta